4 Ways The Devil Tempts Us + 6 Ways to Overcome Temptation
4 Ways The Devil Tempts Us
1. – Tempts us to hold on to transgressions against us and fail to forgive others. If we fail to forgive, then we cannot be reconciled and heal broken relationships. If we hold onto sin, then we will never be able to have God fulfill the petition in the Lord’s Prayer to “forgive our sins as we forgive others.” The devil loves our lack of forgiveness.
“Any one whom you forgive, I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, to keep Satan from gaining the advantage over us; for we are not ignorant of his designs.” -2 Cor 2:10-11
2.– Lies to us about what will make us happy. He will tempt you with money, pleasure, power, etc. But, he lies and says that all these things will bring happiness, when they won’t. They can’t. Only God can. But, the devil can’t help himself – he very nature leads him to lie. He NEVER speaks the truth to us.
“He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” -John 8:44
3. – He tempts us to stir up division between one another. He may use personality or communication issues. He sometimes uses our own sinfulness to play on our weaknesses. He also uses politics, hatred, pride, etc. No matter the tool, he can’t stand that we might stand united with each other and Jesus. Since Jesus prayed for our unity, he hates it, because our unity is a sign to the world of God’s love.
“I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” -John 17: 20-21
4. – The devil tempts us to be afraid and be discouraged. If he can get your heart to question whether you are really loved, whether you really can conquer a particular sin, whether you are alone, whether you are worthy, etc. – then he wins over your heart to fear and discouragement. This is why one of the most popular themes in the Bible is to have no fear. Faith and hope cast out fear, because we rest in the truth of Jesus, not in the lies of the devil.
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” -John 14:27
6 Ways to Overcome Temptation
1. Offer your mind and thoughts to God. He knows better than we do what is good.
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” -Phil 4:8
2. Work on overcoming your selfishness. True Love doesn’t know selfishness. Because, if you love Jesus you don’t belong to yourself
“and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.” -1 Cor 3:23
3. Expect and be ready for temptation. We need to be prepared for Spiritual battle.
“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” -Eph 6:13
4. Remind yourself of the consequences of sin. With God’s help you can overcome temptation.
“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” -Gal5:19-21
5. Memorize God’s Word. Filling our minds with the thoughts of God and having them readily available to us is very wise.
“He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” -Luke 11:28
6. Cultivate a sense of God’s presence in prayer. But don’t just listen – obey. Don’t let a day go by that you don’t pray.
“Go near and listen to all that the LORD our God says. Then tell us whatever the LORD our God tells you. We will listen and obey.” -Deut 5:27
READ ALSO 👇